Saturday, January 15, 2011

New Gloucester History - 150th Anniversary in 1924

The Town of New Gloucester, Maine was quite prominent in its early days. This town celebrated its 150th anniversary in 1924 and this interesting article in the Lewiston Journal Illustrated Magazine, August 30, 1924 edition describes the celebration activities. There is also a book titled The New Gloucester Centennial, September 7, 1874 by T. H. Haskell, originally published by Hoyt, Fogg & Dunham of Portland, Maine in 1875. This book documents the centennial celebration in 1874. A copy of this book can be found at Google Books. I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a copy of this book at an eBay auction several years ago. My copy is signed by the author -  it says "Hon Edwin Fox with regard of T.H. Haskell mch. 26, 1875".


 I grew up in New Gloucester and attended the 200th anniversary celebration in 1974. I was about 8 years old and I remember my Dad growing a beard for the "Brothers of the Brush" competition to see who could grow the best beard (he didn't win); and my Mom dressed up in a handmade colonial outfit and gave spinning and weaving demonstrations.Somewhere there are some pictures at my Dad's house - I need to try and find those and make sure they are labeled


© 2010, copyright William C. Haskell

No comments:

Post a Comment