Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Marriage Record - Eliphalet Haskell & Mary Woodman

Yes! I finally found a marriage record for my 4th great grandparents, Eliphalet and Mary (Woodman) Haskell! I've been searching for this record for a long time. My grandmother's notes indicated they were married about 1776 in Kingston, New Hampshire. Kingston is where Mary Woodman was born, so the location was logical. I am in the process of transcribing the town of New Gloucester, Maine vital records and I found the marriage intention for Eliphalet and Mary that states:

The intention of marriage between Eliphalet Haskell of this town and Miss Mary Woodman of Kingstown was entered and published in this town July 1st, 1775
Now, thanks to FamilySearch.org, I have found their marriage date and location - 12 Dec 1775, South Hampton, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. There was no image of the original record in the database, but now that I have a location, I can try and track down the original record. I check and recheck the FamilySearch site regularly and have not found this record before. This time I specifically went to the New Hampshire Marriages database and searched for "Eliphalet Haskell", date 1775. The record popped up even though the record lists his first name as Eliphelet.

South Hampton is adjacent to the southeast corner of Kingston. Wikipedia indicates that Kingston was originally part of Hampton, New Hampshire and its royal charter was granted in 1694. South Hampton was chartered in 1742.

I'm pretty excited about finding this. It has been on my to do list for quite awhile.

Marriage Record Source: FamilySearch, "New Hampshire Marriages 1720-1920," database, Familysearch.org (www.familysearch.org: accessed 22 January 2011), Eliphalet Haskell & Mary Woodman marriage record; citing "New Hampshire Marriages, 1720-1920," database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/). Index entries derived from digital copies of originals housed in various repositories throughout New Hampshire..

© 2011, copyright William C. Haskell

No comments:

Post a Comment